$3k or Bust graph

$1k or Bust graph

Cake Challenge II graph

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

PLO, the Cure for the Common Boredom

In two weeks time, I dropped (like a rock) from $200 to $140. While that cataclysm coincided with the Molly hospital exhaustion/stress, I don't think that explains it. Instead, I'm pretty sure what happened is that I got bored with $.02-$.04 and stopped respecting the stakes. Marsh somewhat alluded to this in a supportive comment when he talked about going up in stakes. Thinking back, I think this is what happened. I got to $180 or so and started transitioning by playing half $.02-$.04 and half $.05-$.10. I played fine at $.05-$.10, but lost enough (through what I believe is ordinary variance) that I decided I needed to bust myself back down to $.02-$.04. But, once there, I was bored. I stopped respecting the stakes and started thinking about bets/calls/raises as "it's only $.22." Disaster.

I've admittedly had a hard time breaking that cycle. I find myself much more interested in playing the double-up SNGs, and have fared well enough in the $2.20 ones (27 of 42) to turn a moderate profit ($15.60 for $92.40 invested). I've fared poorly in the $5.35 double up SNGs (winning just 2 of 7, for a loss of $27.45).

In the last couple of days -- similarly to Royal, apparently -- I decided to play some PLO. As Royal mentioned, the availability of $.02-$.04 PLO on Cake is ridiculously thin. But, I've been able to play one 6-max and one full-ring table at a time, and have had very good success (admittedly small sample size notwithstanding). In just 550 hands, I'm up over $20. I've tried to be very conservative with my starting hands, looking to avoid middle pairs, unless they're joined by connected straight and flush cards. Mostly, I've been looking for big pairs with straight/flush friends. I've tried to remain diligent not to overplay sets (where a better hand is already possible), but to make players pay the max for draws when no straight or flush is yet possible.

We'll see how it goes. I'm sure I'm getting way the best of variance right now. For now, with rakeback, the Eeyore roll sits back above $158.

2 comments:

Marshall said...

Playing with fire indeed.

Be careful with PLO. The variance is generally accepted to be about double that of the already considerable NLHE.

Adam said...

Acknowledged. Thanks.

Playing $.02-$.04 PLO feels a lot like playing $.05-$.10 holdem, which kept my keen attention. When I maintain that level of concentration, I do well (although these PLO results are clearly anamolous). Was true of the first 6 weeks of $.02-$.04 NLHE. True (so far) of PLO.

Marsh/anyone, any suggestions on how to get my $.02-$.04 NLHE discipline back? I'm frustrated that, despite awareness of this leak, I'm not correcting it when I sit down to play....