$3k or Bust graph

$1k or Bust graph

Cake Challenge II graph

Friday, July 2, 2010

$1k or bust

Given my assumption that there will be little interest in an immediate beginning to Cake Challenge III, I've decided to begin my own quest. Gonna try to turn my $300 on FTP into $1k in a year. Unsure if that's an overly-lofty goal or a soft one. My instinct is that it'll be difficult, especially given the smaller rakeback and the (presumably) tougher opponents as I'm playing in higher stakes games. I'll start off at $.05-$.10 and maybe $.10-$.20, and will endeavor to abide by proper bankroll management principles (which I understand to be 5% buyin; 10% at risk). Of course, if it's June 15, 2011 and I'm at $412, proper bankroll management may go out the window.....

Interested in:

1) thoughts on whether this is overly- or underly-ambitious;

2) whether anyone else wishes to join in the challenge; and

3) whether a sushi/jason-like book should be established, regardless of the answe to 2.

4 comments:

royalbacon said...

I think it's a decent attempt, but not too strenuous, actually. Considering, even with the treacherous ups and downs, you doubled your buy-in over the span of 6 months, you should easily be able to hit $1,000 in a year. I don’t expect you to find the skill level at $.05-$.10 and $.10-$.20 any different than that of the lower stakes we’ve been facing on Cake.

I’ve been surprised at the general skill level of the $.02-$.04 player at Cake. It’s definitely different from that of 3 years ago — more skilled seeming. Given that FTP has a comparatively huge number of players, I imagine that the skill level at the higher levels you’re playing at will be on par with Cake.

Would love to join, but can’t justify a $300 investment. I will see if I can move my $76 over from Cake to FTP, and if you’re interested in matching percentage rather than dollar-amount, I would be willing to accept the challenge.

Adam said...

Will definitely consider that, Royal. Let's see if anyone else has interest.

Setting aside the (considerable) difference in rakeback, I like FTP quite a bit. They have ~ 20 $.05/$.10 6-max tables, plus many with antes and differing buy in allowances (short stack, deep stack...). The "look" of FTP is annoying to me, but I'm sure that's because I'm a creature of habit and used to Cake's appearance. Then again, Antonius is dreamy....

Sushi Cowboy said...

Let's race to $1K. I'm currently at about $216 and think I can get there by Feb 2011. I can use a focused target to keep my game on track since my bankroll went to crap after the April 1 deadline of the Sushi Book came and went.

I would also be willing to book action on anyone who wants to put money on either of us.

Adam said...

Can I bet on Marty?