$3k or Bust graph

$1k or Bust graph

Cake Challenge II graph

Friday, July 16, 2010

Two Weeks In: I Miss Week One

This last week has been dreadful in the $1k challenge. Started the week at $351.90, and while I temporarily climbed as high as $380, the 'roll went crashing down. At my nadir, I hit $287. A run-good, play-against-giant-donks 45 minute session that just ended salvaged the week a bit, and the 'roll is back "up" to $338.03, with rakeback.

Honestly unsure that I played too poorly this last week. Had a couple tilt sessions, but predominantly I had experiences like this. $.05-$.10 6-max NLHE. Effective stacks $10. I wake up UTG with AA and open to $.30. Dude to my 3-bets to $.90, button calls, and I raise to $2. I considered flat calling, but decided that I wouldn't mind scaring one of them off. My 3-better calls, and the btn folds. I like that. Flop is QJ4, two diamonds. A little over $5 in the pot, and I have $8 left. I have the lead and the board is wet, so I bet $3.75. Villain obliges by shoving all in. I call, and he turns over 22. WTF? A 2 hits the turn and I toss my laptop across the room (in spirit, at least).

Had a few of those, and only recall doing that once to somebody once myself. So, the Fates owe me a couple.

I also played a bit of Rush Poker. I adopted a quasi-Sushi Cowboy approach. Narrow pre-flop range. While I earned lots of FTPs, I was upside down about $11 in ~ 1200 hands dealt. The variance is, um, high, and while I'm sure that Martin and others can do well by exploiting the natural Rush Poker junkies, I'm not fond of how it changes my poker perspective. Given that my primary goal here is to learn to play better, I'll stick to the regular old boring ring games.

Back to a question I asked before, but didn't see a response to ----> is there anyway to make a URL of FTP hands so that I can post them??? Marty? I'm looking at you....

1 comment:

Sushi Cowboy said...

The only way I know of to publish hands is to copy the hand history out of your logs and paste it into a HH converter of which there are many. http://www.handconverter.com/
for example.

Tough go at Rush. It is a different animal to be sure. I would argue that there are still lessons to be learned from Rush though perhaps not as applicable to live game play as normal ring games. Still, go with what works for you.

I only use it to print points out. If you play TAG then the variance is high thanks to donk play like the guy who overplayed his ducks against you. I posted a blind stealing strategy which is lower variance but a lot more work and slower.

I'm still trying to find the balance between points and profit at Rush. Rush costs me to play it but it also enables me to benefit from all of the Iron Man promotions and bonuses which have added a considerable amount to my roll and of course generates not insignificant amounts of rakeback. Ironically, I am EV- against the game but playing less of if would mean that I don't qualify for the Iron Man goodies so the way to be more profitable is to play more of the game that I lose money at.