$3k or Bust graph

$1k or Bust graph

Cake Challenge II graph

Friday, February 5, 2010

Quck Hit and Run

With sundown approaching, I had but an hour or so in between homemaking chores to play some Challenge. I played a combo of games. Two 6-max $.02-$.04 NLHE ring games, one $2 double-up SNG and one (gasp) $2 heads-up SNG.

Very successful all around. In live action, I cleared almost $10 over just 111 hands. The play was pretty standard, except the guy on my right at one table decided he was sick of pre-flop raises and c-betting and seemed to transform into a "I'm calling you down no matter what" tiltasaurus. Two blessings followed. One, he had a very large stack ($12 or so) and I caught cards/flops on four consecutive flops. On the final one, I caught top pair and a flush draw, which turned into a flush on the river. Check-call, check-call, check-call went tiltasaurus. Turned out he had one pair. By the time those 4 hands were over, I had $17.64 in my stack and he was near busto. Having no compunction about hitting and running, I took off.....mostly to protect my way-bigger-than-10% stack.

The double-up tournament was uneventful, and I played about 10% of pots. On the final hand, I picked up TT on the button, flopped a T and knocked #s 6 and 7 out of the tournament. The end.

The heads-up tournament lasted all of 6 hands. Sixth hand went this way. I pick up 69o in the BB. Villian calls from the SB/button and I check. Flop 6J7 (2 clubs). I bet pot (40), villain calls. Turn is an offsuit 9. I bet pot again (120) and villain immediately shoves (1210). At this moment, Molly started screaming and, having to go attend her crisis of the moment, I acted (by calling) a little quicker than I probably should've. He shows [redacted--just rememberd that I'm not supposed to post villain's hand; sorry if you saw it earlier prior to this edit] and the river, a blank, ends the tournament. On a board (6J79) with that many possible straights, should I have mucked? 2 pair in heads up play seems pretty powerful, and the only straights that got there were 5-8 or a gutshot. If he really made a straight, why bet 5-6 times the pot? If the room were less hectic, I probably would've mucked and waited for another spot. Thoughts?

Anyways, in fewer than 150 hands this afternoon, I jumped from under $130 to $143. If I can keep that $/minute pace in tact, watch out.

1 comment:

jason said...

You could probably go either way on the HU hand. When you bet pot on the turn villain will likely figure you have something so shoving with a straight or a set would be perfectly normal. I guess I would be inclined to fold but I don't think a call is terrible either.