$3k or Bust graph

$1k or Bust graph

Cake Challenge II graph

Friday, February 12, 2010

Stepping Up in Stakes a Bit

Starting today's mini session, the Eeyore 'roll sat at $174 or so. Based on something Marsh told me (although possibly misapplying the suggestion), I decided to start transitioning to the higher stakes game. So, I played a mix of games. One $.02-$.04 6-max, one $.05-$.10 6-max, one $2 double-up SNG (10 player) and one $3 double-SNG (6 player). Overall, in under 200 hands, I earned $12 or so, so yay.

Can't say I played particularly well, though. I busted out on the bubble on the $3 double up SNG by vastly overplaying 2nd pair. I had T5s in the SB and (when the field folded to me) I decided to complete the bet. Why??? Flop was ATx, and I bet out. BB calls. Turn a blank and I shove. Why??? Don't recall exact amounts, but my shove was barely more than a pot sized bet and the BB had me well covered. He insta-calls with AJ and that was that.

I played a 2nd $3 double up SNG, and lost 1200 of 1500 chips in the first orbit, when my KK was sucked out on by 88. Dude made a runner-runner straight. I buckled down, found some good spots to shove, and ended up "winning" the SNG (by finishing in top 3). Even had the most chips when it ended.

Basically broke even in $.05-$.10 (won $.55 in 17 whole hands), but I made almost $10 in $.02-$.04. But, I must admit that most of it was made on a hand I played way too recklessly. I failed to grab the URL, but here's how it went. Let me know if you think this was reckless as I do.

I have 87c on the button. Cutoff ($14.04) limps, as do I ($6.64). SB completes, and BB ($1.42) raised to $.24. Cutoff and I call. SB folds. $.78 in pot. [I generally don't limp in 6-max and I generally wouldn't call another $.20 with that hand with only 3 players...especially when one villain has so few chips behind. Can't explain why I called the raise there, other than inattentiveness. 4 tables may be too many for me, as I tend to freak out when I'm called to act on 2 or 3 tables at once. Lame, but true.]

Flop brings Tc-4c-7h (2nd pair and icky flush draw for me). BB checks, Cutoff (very very aggressive player) makes it $.80 to go. I raise to $2.20 [I think my raise is solid enough. Pair, flush draw and backdoor straight draw against a guy who may well have nada], BB insta-calls his remaining $1.18, Cutoff shoves (has me covered by $6+) and....this is where I definitely go off the rails, imo) -- I call. Suddenly, I'm in a $13.80 pot and all-in with 78c. BB turns over a set of 4s and the Cutoff shows 98o. [So, my read on Cutoff -- as maniac deluxe) was right. He committed a huge chunk of chips, on a flushy board with two other players showing strength, one of whom is all in and can't pay him off any more...with a straight draw.]

Turn is 9c and the river is the Qc. Eeyore gets miracle flush for the win.

Too reckless? Feels that way to me, but it becomes easier to justify the play the more I think about it after the fact. My biggest error was probably the $.20 call of the BB's raise pre-flop. Thoughts?

Anywho, by recklessness or unwitting fine play (unlikely), the Eeyore 'roll sits at a little over $186.

8 comments:

Sushi Cowboy said...

Make sure to save your hand histories. You should be doing this already purely for accounting purposes but you can run the hand history converter to get the URL so the rest of us can see pretty pictures.

I don't play the DONs but my guess is that you should wait for a better spot than second pair. But I suppose you know that.

What's reckless about your 7c8c hand? If you're going to play that hand then it doesn't get much better than a flop like that. You have presumably all of your flush outs and usually have two pair and trip outs as well though in this case you don't due to the set of fours. Of course you could be in real bad shape against any other flush draw other than perhaps 2c3c. The big action is either a set or two pair trying to protect or something like the nut flush draw. You have a blocker against the mega-draw 8c9c. So either you're ahead with your pair against a bigger flush draw or you have outs if you're up against a big hand. It is tricky in your case because you are three handed but if you're going to play that hand to a raise then I don't think you can fold to what is a great flop for that hand.

Adam said...

Thanks for the feedback, Marty.

All my hand histories are saved as text files on the computer. I didn't have immediate access to the URL for the coverter. Can you paste it into another comment here? That'll ensure I have access to it in the future. (My recollection is that it is in the form of a URL.) Thanks.

jason said...

agree with Martin, nothing reckless on your 7c8c hand, any player should go to the mat on that flop u did u were priced in and it worked out.

Second pair in a double up was dumb. I rarely limp in that game, my goal is to have no confrontations other than when way ahead.

Better play would have been to fold preflop. If u want to play it raise as everyone else does not want to get involved in pots particularly mid to late in the game

jtrey333 said...

RE: 7c8c - there's nothing "reckless" nor miracle about making the flush. I basically agree with everything Marty said on that hand - its just a high variance play, and if you're going to play 7c8c you'd better be willing to go with it flopping as good as you did.

There's really no question as to whether you should or shouldn't go with it. Either fold it preflop and play low variance as your online style dictates, or go with it when you flop big like you did.

chuck m said...

I think the 7c8c hand is actualy kind of interesting and should not be written off as "pair + fd = ship it".

My thoughts:
1) Pre is terrible. The preflop aggressor potted pre when he had the option to see a free flop. He also has 29.5 BBs left after the raise. Unless he's a total donk (which, granted, he could be), he cleary has a hand he is comfortable going with.

CO is an active player who limp/calls from late position. He does not have a very strong hand and you are going to have a hard time playing for stacks against him when you hit.

So, baring a miracle flop, you need to put in 5 BBs to win 13.5 with very little in implied odds (29.5 in most cases). I don't think you're getting a good price vs BBs range at under 3:1 when you almost always only stand to make 30 BBs more.

So, fold pre.

2) Post is not a snap-call. We are deep here and are risking a lot with what is still a marginal hand. We've invested $2.44 at this point, leaving $4.20 back. It sucks to commit 1/3 your stack and fold, but that doesnt mean this is an easy decision. What ranges do you think BB and CO show up with at this point?

Given pre, 99+, AQ+ makes sense for BB. We have great equity vs that range so the first raise is fine, we are trying to get the shorty's stack in the middle and isolate.

But now CO ships over 100 big blinds into us, and that's kind of a big deal. Keeping in mind that CO limp/called pre, what is his range here? Putting aside the actual results, he can certainly have many combinations of AX clubs, 44, 77, and TT which crush us. Does he spazz with 89 or 55 enough to balance this range to something we can call? Maybe, depends on how CO was playing and how light he was getting stacks in. I certainly don't know the answer, but pair + fd here is by no means an auto stack off.

chuck m said...

Just for fun, here are what I think approximate ranges for our villains are. Do any of you think they are unreasonable?

Sushi Cowboy said...

Chuck, I like your analysis. I confess that I didn't pay as much attention to stack sizes as you did. However, I'm hearing two different things. The first is that pre-flop you aren't getting the right pot odds and are investing too much to win too little. Then you also say that the stacks are extremely deep and that it isn't an auto call. These seem a little contradictory to me.

chuck m said...

I'm saying the given the preflop action, CO almost never has a real hand here and we can't count on playing for stacks against him. This is my argument for saying we have no implieds to call for preflop.

When CO does wake up with something that hit the flop, the situation changes and we are now playing a sidepot for full buy-ins.