$3k or Bust graph

$1k or Bust graph

Cake Challenge II graph

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

How to Extract Value at Micro Stakes

At the risk of running into another slew of "it's player dependent" responses, I'm seeking some input as to how to extract value in pots where I hold a monster. Obviously, it's player dependent, but as a baseline does it make sense simply to steam ahead and hope to be called/bluff-raised...rather than trying to slow play at micro stakes?

In the 2000 or so hands thus far, I've run into this a fair number of times. Here's a very recent example. All I know about this guy is that, in the immediately prior hand, he stacked off on the flop with a horrendous holding. Note how terrible his pre flop calls (plural) were. So, on the very next hand, when I flop 2 pair and river a boat, I'm not afraid of being beat and am concerned from the outset on how to get max value out of this chump. My river check (hoping for a bluff) didn't work.....

Thoughts?

1 comment:

chuck m said...

Interesting hand and I'm not really sure what's best here. Here are my thoughts:
-Obviously if villain was chasing hearts, we are better off checking to induce a bluff since he won't call a 3rd street. But what hearts does he call with on the flop?
-In the previous hand, villain has shown that he can stack off light with a draw. He went nuts with a gut shot + over + backdoor flush, so I can't help but think that if villain turned the heart draw here he'd be looking to get it in ASAP. This suggests to me that villain has Qx or a weak ace and just wants to get to showdown.
-The river effectively didn't change the board at all, so if villain is calling the turn with a weak pair he should be calling the river with the exact same range.

I bet here, probably around $0.95 since the pot is too small to just put villain in. My default line with big hands is just to bet/bet/bet and not try to get tricky/trappy. The biggest mistake an average microstakes player makes is calling too much, and I'm happy to be an enabler for that.