$3k or Bust graph

$1k or Bust graph

Cake Challenge II graph

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ok, Graph Looks a Little Less Sad

Played again tonight (for about an hour). Two-tabling $.02-$.04. I think three tables is optimal for my attention span when I'm doing nothing else, but I'm watching the Simpsons, so two tables seemed smarter.

BTW, I'm **TLK 10** on Cake. Is it possible to search for players on Cake? I.e., is there a function on Cake where I can search to see if MConstant (or the rest of you's) are playing?

Maniacs help. Played better than I had to date. Results were definitely assisted by some of the maniacal playing I was expecting at these micro stakes. A good example, where the huge stack goes nuts with QJo. Thank you, riverinit.

Flat call or raise pre with small pairs in 6-max? Soliciting input on how to play small pairs pre-flop. My instinct is to raise and try to take it down pre. Ignoring the results, in this hand I limped pre with 3s, turned a 3 and lost to a flopped set of 9s. Had I raised on the button, the BB would've either re-raised me off my hand or I would've lost a bigger pot. Right? Or is that too result-oriented? This flopped set worked out better, but I don't see that the result was affected by my pre-flop raise. I won a big pot because my opponent hit two pair on the flop when I hit my set. I'm struggling to understand how the pre-flop raise/flat call affects the results. Thoughts?

Slow played this flopped set into oblivion. Boy, I hit quite a few sets in a short amount of time. In this one, I kept waiting for my opponents to bet out, and then tried to overbet the pot on the river. Fortunately, and inexplicably, my opponent only called with the nuts.

3 comments:

royalbacon said...

Personally, how I play low pockets varies greatly depending on position and the action before me. For the set of 3s, I think since you were on the button, a pot raise there was appropriate, rather than flat calling. You got very lucky with your instinct to NOT bet on the river. Since the possible flush was on the board, I think that’s probably what I would have done, correct or not.

If I have low pockets and I’m in one of the blinds, I’ll usually fold them on a raised pot. Not worth the trouble, IMO. Curious what others think of that, though. I see why you called the min-raise from the SB in your flopped set of twos hand. Anything more than a min-raise there and I’m folding PF.

Marshall said...

Pretty table/position dependent for the small pairs. I don't think you can really have any type of formula for it. Your image is a big deal too when deciding how to play them.

Playing them from the blinds to a raise (as Royal pointed out) is usually just a losing proposition. Even when you do flop a set, you often will have a lot of trouble extracting max value from OOP unless your opponent flops something they want to go with.

Adam can you teach me how to flop that many sets?

Adam said...

When you're as experienced and zen as I, you will no longer need to ask, young Marshall. Until that time, I suggest some visualization exercises.