$3k or Bust graph

$1k or Bust graph

Cake Challenge II graph

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sucky Sunday

Jeh likes to point out that I'm the king of premature celebrators (yes, twss). Good thing I bragged yesterday about having not had a losing day in almost two weeks. STREAK'S OVER!!!!

The day started with a 30-person, one-hand MTT. That's right, one hand. Despite my theory of staying out of the fray early, I (un/fortunately) picked up TT UTG in hand #1. I actually thought about folding, but I couldn't do it. I raised pot (to 70 -- blinds being 10-20), next guy calls, as do the cut off and button. Flop is 3-T-J, rainbow. Wahoo. So now I get to exploit the first hand madness that I see in every MTT. I bet out 200 (pot is 310). Guy to my left makes it 600 (YES!) and other two fold. I pause....and when my status bar is just to go blank I shove all in. He insta calls and his JJ is shown. Turn and river are blanks. Super fun tournament.

As for the rest of the day, I played about 460 hands at 7 different $.02-$.04 6-max tables over the course of the day and was a giant loser...to the tune of $8.54. Can't say I played super great or super tilty. I suffered a couple painful beats and did well not to tilt. However, I certainly went haywire on the last hand, losing my biggest hand of the Challenge ($12.54). Ouch. Flopped the toppiest of top sets, but the board also brought 3 clubs. When my opponent check-called the flop, I figured there was a good chance he held one big club. I decided that if I shoved, he'd only call me if he happened to be holding a big flush. Plus, I still had a few outs (boat/quads). Wrong and wrong. And thus went my $6.55. Feedback please. What would you do on the turn? I seriously doubt anybody shuts down on the flop when we flop top set. True? If I check behind on the turn, what do I do when he bets half-pot, pot or all-in on the river. I guess the answer is call, call and fold. Yes?

Oh well. Eeyore retiring (well maybe) for today......

2 comments:

jason said...

Well I don't like your play with the top set there. No problem with the pot bet on the flop. The turn is tricky, personally, I would bet pot again but I am nittier than most. Others may advise that the shove was OK. The problem with the shove is you are way way too deep to shove there with a non flush.

If I am the villain, you either have the nuts there, a big draw like you had or air. Calling is perfectly acceptable for the villain as he did flop a flush which I think is a 144:1 shot or something like that.

Personally, I would bet pot again giving him the wrong odds to draw to a flush if he has a big flush card.

The problem is that you can't put him squarely on a hand and you are way too deep to shove there. I would not blow through 125+ big blinds without the nuts or near nuts.

If you bet pot on the turn and he shoves against you on the turn you have a tough decision. If you bet pot on the turn and he calls, then I would likely call any river bet with a tank call on a shove. A fold on a shove is acceptable too given the huge stacks.

royalbacon said...

I’ve decided, based on the myriad of times that I’ve gotten AA, been up against AA, or just simply seen people go all-in pre-flop with much less than AA, that I will forever, from this point forward and Doyle as my witness, go all-in pre-flop with AA.

I also promise to write extremely long and difficult to read sentences.