$3k or Bust graph

$1k or Bust graph

Cake Challenge II graph

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Ran Bad, Played Miserably Worse

What a frustrating two hours. Again, 3-tabling $.02-$.04 6-max. Marsh will be pleased to know that my g-d like running came to an end. So, I ran poorly (missed flop after flop, turn after turn, river after river) and I couldn't get my opponents to fold. It took me over an hour of playing to finally quiet down. Ordinarily, I don't see much sense in limping pre flop in 6-max. Am I out to lunch? My mindset is to aggressively play pairs and big cards (with the occasional wildcard 9Ts mixed in) pre flop. Problem is (especially problematic when NOBODY WILL FOLD) I flopped next to nada. It took me quite a while to stop C-betting and quiet down.

The adjustment I made - with some success (helped me recoup about $4 in losses) - was to raise far less pre-flop, and to (ick) limp in and hammer away when I actually caught a piece. I stopped stabbing and it helped. Is that the right adjustment? Seems odd to play loose in a 6-max game.

As for interesting hands, I was too disgusted with myself to keep active track after a while. A few hands:

1. On this one, I, in position, called a min raise pre with 44. Flopped a set (yes, Marsh, another one -- trust me, this was the only set to greet **TLK 10** tonight) and took it down on the turn. While I heeded the advice not to call a raise from the blinds with a small pair, this one seemed ok, as it was a min raise and I had position. Thoughts?

2. Here, I went kablooee. Head hanging low, but since I did this two or three times tonight, perhaps publicly shaming myself will lead to better discipline in the future. I give the villain points for slow playing his flopped nut flush slowly and letting me impale myself. [BTW, this wasn't the worst play of the evening. On another table, I went crazy pre with 99 in the SB -- I found it wise to 4-bet all in, leading to the ecstatic BB's call with QQ. Duh.]

3. Agree with my fold on this one? I had AQ, btw. The link isn't showing my cards for some reason. This was fairly typical of my evening, but I think the laydown was correct. Agree? Villain was a moster stack ($18 or so at a table with $4 max buy in).

'Tis all. Dropped almost $10 tonight. Ugh. Fortunately, I won't be able to play for a few days. Brain needs to reset.....

8 comments:

royalbacon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
royalbacon said...

In the #1 hand above, with the 44 call min-raise pre-flop, that’s what I would have done, too.

Also, I don’t know if "heeding the advice" of folding small pockets out of position pf is "good advice" or "just plain silly", it's what I do.

As for #3 above, I think I’m calling that guy. What, did he make a set? I’d have to have watched that guy for a while to put him on anything but simply trying to scare you away. But that’s my guess.

Marshall said...

Hand 1: seems fine to me. I would have raised a little less considering the weak action you have coming to you. It's fine though.

Hand 2: standard.

Hand 3: I am calling. In a real poker game it's probably a fold, but against an unknown random online, I think it's a call. The fact that his stack is massive makes me want to call even more. Most guys with that kind of stack are either very willing to gamble, or are running great. Both reasons lean me toward a call.

The reason we can't see the hand is cause you mucked.

chuck m said...

Hand 1: Raise 1/2 pot on the flop, expect to get called by one of them who has a K. If you do call the flop, raise the turn smaller.

RE: Folding small PPs in the blinds, I think it's fine, but villain dependant. Playing small PPs purely for set value is -EV and it's hard to take away hands from OOP. Of course call from the button. My standard line is to raise to ~.22 OTB here and cbet almost any flop, but I really don't know if thats correct in your average .02/.04 game.

Hand 2: See below.

Hand 3: Call, expect to get show KQ, QJ, JJ. Actualy get shown 9Jo, feel slightly sick, hit the rebuy button.

I talked with Marsh a bit about hand 2 and I think it's really interesting. My final verdict is that I play nitty here and check/fold the turn and river. We can bet the turn here and get called by lots of worse hands, stuff like QJ, J9, JsX, but the problem is that betting the turn and getting called puts us in a completely gross river spot and we basically have to c/f. My opinion is that the times when we bet and get called by worse on the turn, then get to check/check the river and win the showdown, does not make enough money to outweight the times we are either behind currently, or get bluffed off our hand on the river because we check and villain feels he "has to bet to win".

It's a really marginal spot because there are definitely a lot of worse hands that we can get value from on the turn here, but we are effectively bluff catching and I dont think that's profitable on this board vs an unknown player.

chuck m said...

Was the 4-bet shove of 99 blind vs blind, or were there other people in the hand? BvB I'm fine with the shove.

Adam said...

Chuck -- Yes, it was blind vs. blind. Setting results aside, I don't know if it was correct or not. I can tell you that one consideration weighing agaisnt my play is that I was sorta on what-f'n-ever tilt at the time. It corresponded very close in time to that KK vs. A9s hand, and I was feeling off kilter. I may've incidentally played it right, but I was a little out of my head at the time.

As an aside, while I need to learn to control the emotion a bit, I'm glad that I'm able to acclamate to $.02-$.04 as if I was playing $1-$2 or $2-$5 for "real" money. I get just as invested as if it was meaningful money at stake. Now just need some deep breathing exercises to avoid tilt....

chuck m said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
chuck m said...

TBH I'm really not sure what the correct play is with 99 in the SB here, you should really post the hand history if you have it 'cause I'd love to look at stack/bet sizes.

Against a good, aggro player I probably 4bet 99 all day when its BvB, but against a standard micro nit, it's a really weird spot.

[Previous comment removed to fix a typo and I don't know how to edit comments]