$3k or Bust graph

$1k or Bust graph

Cake Challenge II graph

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Overplaying AKo

I'll be brief about my Tuesday play. Same as Monday, I played three 6-max NLHE tables ($.02-$.04) and one $1.10 MTT.

The live play was fine, but I lost two big pots when I was in great shape when the money went in. I nearly tripled at one table, which offset (plus a little) my losses at the other two. For the day, up $.18 overall, including a net $1.28 at ring games.

In the MTT, I think I made a pretty big mistake....and I say that not just because of the result. As always, start with T1500. Thirty players, and we were down to 14. I played less than 10% of hands in the first two or three orbits (multi-tabling helps restrain my urge to screw around), and then I more than doubled up in the course of three hands. I was sitting at about T3200, and the blinds were 100-200, with an ante (I think it was 30). There were 7 at the table, and I picked up AKo on the button. One limper, and I raise to 500. The SB calls and the BB (who I recall having about T5000) raises to 1600. The limper between the BB and me folds. At this point, I feel like I can go all in (I have 2700 left, and there's about 3300 in the pot) or fold. Knowing little about the BB (playing 4 tables makes it hard for me to focus in on every player; and I believe this guy was pretty new to the table), I guess I should've saved my chips for another battle, but I shoved. SB folds, BB calls and turns over AA, with even my Kd covered by his Ad. The end.

Given the stage and chip stacks, should I have waited for a different spot? To be honest, I was looking for reasons to shove. I figured he could be trying to take it down there or narrow the field. "Unless he has AA or KK, I'm fine," I thought. I had almost exactly the average stack size (45k/14 remaining players = 3214). The biggest error was probably playing so aggressively (without a made hand) against a guy who 3-bet the pot OOP when I knew nothing about him. Thoughts?

Happy to have been up ($.18!) for the day....and very happy for rakeback. With rakeback, the Eeyore 'roll stands at $124.61. Look out, world. (rakeback accounts for 55% of the gain over three weeks. wow!)

3 comments:

chuck m said...

I'd be mad at you if you folded AK in that hand. You started the hand with 15 BBs and there's a ton of dead money from the limper and the antes, just ship it.

Marshall said...

Your analysis of the hand is rottier than a jack-o-lantern on Thanksgiving Day.

Adam said...

Ok, ok. Got it. I suppose the analysis would be considerably different if it were the 1st orbit and my stack equaled 75 BBs.

Thanks, Chuck.

Whatever, Marsh. :)